💥Episode 25-27💥

🤦‍♂️✳DECEPTION✳🤦‍♂️

_25_

Six days later

I stood on the mirror not sure if I wanted to let go of Wane, it had been six days since her death and my life had shifted drastically from what it used to be to something I couldn’t even recognize.

‘Do you really have to be in black?’ my wife asked

‘Mevis leave me alone.’ I said softly taking in the image that I was staring into

I had aged, for the first time I questioned my f position as a president. So this was it? I was expected to just forget her and continue leading the nation? Was it worth it? Sacrificing my love and heart? But for what? A love that didn’t even last? A love that was felt and yet experienced behind closed doors? A forbidden love?

My mind drew me to the day she cornered me in a hotel room after we had a meeting with the French ambassador

‘Wane what are you doing? I had asked her

‘We need to talk, I can’t take this anymore.’ She told me as she held the door for me to go inside

I didn’t want people to notice anything so I walked in

‘Make this short, I have a country to run.’ I told her as I looked deep into her beautiful eyes

‘I still love you and I can’t take this anymore.’ She began without even facing me

I felt my heart torn in two, I felt joy take over my being at the same time. How is it possible to hate the only person that you love? She had picked a different man from me and that had tormented me but somehow I still longed that she felt me as much as I did her.

‘Are you going to say something?’ she asked

‘What do you want me to tell you? That I have loved you since the day you chose money over love? That I have loved you since the day you betrayed me? Is that what you want to hear?’ I had asked her

‘You know I did what was the best for us.’ She said kneeling before me

‘Wane I loved you, sacrificed my life for you. Whatever joy I found I gave it to you and you took away the man I was meant to be when you left.’ I told her reliving the pain and anguish

We got so lost in tears and the next thing I remember was her giving herself to me, it was the first time and it felt right. We were so engrossed in each other’s arms without realizing when my wife walked in. she was hurt, her heart torn beyond repair. I tried to stay away from Wane but when I just couldn’t, I allowed the emotions to take over.

She was not just a great lover but a good vice president too.

I let out the tears, pouring down as I hit on the mirror. It is my fault that she is dead I constantly screamed with each punch. I should have never allowed her to be Vice President. I shouldn’t have been this close to her, now I had to leave with the fact that she was gone and her murderer was somewhere living a happy life.

I got hold of myself and washed my hands that were now bleeding due to the glass I had been hitting.

The Presidential motorcade was already waiting outside when I walked out. One of the officers came and opened the door for me when I drew near.

‘Finally accepting defeat?’ Mevis said sarcastically

‘Don’t you have a heart?’ I asked her feeling the pain in my fists

‘Don’t be dramatic hubby, I lost my heart the day you chose her over me.’ She said causing the driver to look at us through his mirror

‘We will talk about this when we get home.’ I said as I turned to look at the other side

‘There is nothing to talk about, she’s gone. Even in death you want her to give me a headache.’ She said before clicking her tongue

***

Mass was being held to celebrate her life here on earth at Cathedral of the Holy Cross because she was a born and bred Catholic. It was already packed when we got there, we were led inside as the first family and we sat on the left side whilst on the right her family.

The casket was put just at the entrance of the door and the Priest began with the sprinkling of the coffin with holy water as a reminder of baptism and said, ‘With this water we call to mind Mrs Musoni’s baptism. As Christ went through the deep waters of death for us, so may he bring her to the fullness of resurrection and life with all the redeemed.’

A crucifix was carried by one of the alter boys then placed on the coffin.

‘The grace and peace of God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ be with you.’ The Priest said when he faced the congregation

‘And with your spirit.’ They responded

‘Let us pray.’ The Priest said

‘O God, whose mercies cannot be numbered, accept our prayers on behalf of your servant Mrs Musoni, and grant her an entrance into the land of light and joy, in the fellowship of your saints; through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.’ He had continued

He went on and read some scriptures from John 14:1-6, reminding the congregation not to be troubled because the deceased was in a better place.

A short sermon was preached and personal remembrances of the Vice President by friends and family were offered. The priest concluded mass and him and his procession walked out of the church before sprinkling the Casket again with water and having it incensed. The sprinkling is a reminder that through baptism the person was marked for eternal life and incensation signifies respect for the body as the temple of the Holy Spirit.

Body viewing was done and we all drove to Memorial park which was her final resting place. That side a few prayers were offered and the casket was laid in the earth. As this was done I kept thinking of the many ways I would eliminate the person that took her from me. As I laid the wreaths I just asked for strength to be able to avenge her death.

DECEPTION
_26

I held my belly again not able to believe that I was finally going to hold my own child, I had been sick the last thirty days and I was convinced that it’s because I had witnessed Chimuka murder the vice president. I took a bold step the previous week and was told that I was five weeks up. Five months since my husband discovered that his tea had been drugged for I don’t know how long, five months since I started living in fear and along the way I guess the drug must have lost its strength because how then can you explain my being pregnant.

I kept debating if at all I should let Justin know or maybe keep it to myself, we had by all means avoided the President and I had finally resigned because I did not want anything to do with the state after all the secrets I had discovered along the way.

‘You have been lost in thought.’ I heard Justin say

‘Well hai, I did not hear you come in.’ I told him as I pulled on my Jersey

‘How are you feeling?’ he asked as he came to kiss my cheek

‘I am good thank you, how was work?’ I asked him

‘It was the same.’ He answered with a sadness

‘What exactly is happening to you?’ I asked him

Justin had been acting strange of late, despite the fact that we were trying to patch things up I knew that he was not the same. And I was really getting worried

‘It’s nothing baby, I don’t want to worry you.’ He told me

‘No babe tell me, you haven’t been yourself of late and that is enough reason for me to be worried.’ I responded

‘Well.’ He began

‘I am all ears.’ I answered

‘It’s the President babe.’ He said

I sighed, I dreaded anything to do with that man, and I didn’t want to hear anything concerning him. He had turned out to be the worst nightmare.

‘You see why I didn’t want to mention his name.’ he said lifting my chin

‘We better get it over with, sooner or later I will find out.’ I told him

‘He has been giving me a hard time, I don’t know what to do to please him.’ He responded

‘Babe, I think it is high time you let go of that job.’ I told him

‘Well I have been planning to talk to you about that.’ He answered

‘It is just the right thing to do, how long are you going to suffer under the mercy of that man. We have already seen enough.’ I told him when he lay his head on my laps

There was a silence between us, we were both in our own world, I guess what happened to the vice president was hard on the both of us.

***

‘Yes sir.’

‘Kindly come to my office.’ I said before dropping the phone

She walked in as soon as possible, she looked scared. I had instilled fear in almost everyone I worked with because Wane’s death had been hard to accept.

‘I have been calling Justin’s phones and they keep taking me straight to voice mail, I have not seen him in here. What the hell is happening around this place?’ I asked furiously

‘Sir I thought you read your mails.’ She responded
‘What do my mails have to do with his reporting for work?’ I asked pacing around my office

‘Mr Kunda resigned a week ago, I forwarded the emails.’ She told me

I got my laptop and entered the password, it was flooding with mails and it looked like a trash can. I went to my mails and there it was.

‘I am sorry to inform you Sir that I can no longer work with your office, it has been a great pleasure serving both you and the Country. I wish you and your office happiness in your future endeavours. Mr Kunda.’

I grabbed my laptop and threw it to the ground, causing it to crush.

‘Get out of my office!’ I ordered

She rushed out and I was fuming, I grabbed my phone and punched the one number that I had dreaded.

‘Well, well. What do we have here?’ the voice said at the end of the line

I kept quite not sure if I had made the right decision by dialling the number

‘I need your help.’ I said whilst panting

‘Of course you do, otherwise why would you be calling me?’ the voice asked

‘I need you to take two people down.’ I said

‘Who?’ he asked

‘Justin Kunda and Chimuka Hamoonga.’ I responded

‘You know how I do my work, I need to know why I am doing what I am doing.’ He said

‘I am just settling an old score.’ I responded

‘Don’t bullshit me, either you tell me or you can sort it out yourself.’ He said

‘The girl took out Wane.’ I responded

‘Wane? The late vice President?’ he asked

‘Yes.’ I answered

The man let out an evil laugh

‘I thought she was the smartest woman in your office, what happened?’ he asked

‘I don’t have to explain myself to you.’ I said the laugh piercing through my heart

He kept quite

‘Make it look like a murder case, burn them to ashes.’ I said

‘Wow, someone is becoming evil.’ He said

‘I don’t want anything to remain, but make sure to frame his wife; Felicia. I will send you everything you need.’ I said before hanging up the phone

***

I watched as Felicia slept, I wish she could find the courage to tell me about her pregnancy. But I had promised myself that I wasn’t going to push her, her gynaecologist had called me the day she did her test to inform me about the pregnancy. I had never been so happy in my life.

I was disturbed when I received a text from Chimuka asking me to meet her at Stay easy hotel room 04, she sounded like it was an urgent matter. I pecked Feli on the lips and locked up.

***

I was out partying when I got a text from Justin asking me to meet him at stay easy hotel room 04, I had not heard from him since we buried the vice president and I guessed it was urgent. I got on the first cab I saw and asked the driver to take me to stay easy hotel, I was there in 10minutes because I had been at Lusaka hotel where my friend was holding a bachelorette party.

I rushed to the room and found Justin inside pacing up and down with his hands in the pockets.

‘What is the problem?’ we both asked at the same time

‘Wait what are you talking about?’ I asked him
He removed his phone and showed me the text, I also removed mine and showed him the text. We looked at each and I knew that we had fallen into the lion’s den.

‘Call your wife now.’ I ordered him

He got his phone and it was not connecting.

‘Here try mine.’ I said handing him my phone

He tried it and it also took him straight to voice mail.

‘We need to get out of here.’ I told him

We were about to leave when the door opened.

‘Well look who we have here.’ The person said

*FROM PROLOGUE*

‘Mrs. Kunda, can you once again tell us your relationship to the deceased before judgment is passed’, her Lordship asked me.

I looked at her with my blood shot eyes. I didn’t know what to say to her. I had exhausted all my energy and I didn’t have anything else to say. Either to the jury, the court or the Judge herself.

‘Mrs. Kunda, this is your last chance…any last words’, she asked again.

I stood up from my seat, I could feel all the eyes crawling on me. I could feel the hate and hurt, the pain, the hunger to kill me was intense. Justin’s mum was also in the court room, she came to bid farewell to her son’s surviving widow and coming here today was the only way to avenge her son.
‘You can start by telling us your relationship to Mr. Kunda and Ms. Hamonga, both in question are deceased.’

***

‘Thank you Mrs. Kunda, court adjoined to Friday.’ The Judge announced.

The guards led me to my cell and locked me up. In the three months I had been here, I had cried, prayed, talked to lawyers but all seemed in vain.

Two days from now my fate would be decided, I loved Justin so much I would never hurt him and I know he would never cheat on me. What was killing me was how he got in that bed with Chimuka, I had so many questions and it seemed to me that he had died with all the answers.

Justin’s parents had refused to bury his body until they saw to it that I was behind bars; two months of my husband’s body being in the morgue. Now here I am, alone in this cell and at this point am starting to believe that maybe I did kill him.
When the world is totally against you, even your inner voice sounds like a liar. Maybe I did murder him, or maybe am just going insane.

***

DECEPTION…LIES…DEATH
What do you do when the man you trusted is the one that kills your trust?
When the government you trust is the one that is rotten.
Who really killed Justin?

Tbc